Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cousin Andrew

Yesterday at 1:59pm, Alina gained a cousin. My brother Keith and his wife Debbie welcomed their 3rd son, Andrew Nicolas. He was about a month early, so he was a little light for the typical Rice kid. He weighed in at 5 lbs 3 oz, but was still 19 inches long. Considering his Dad is 6'5", and his Mom is like 5'10", you know that he'll be a tall one.

It was great to go to the hospital last night and experience the first few hours of Andrew's life with him. It was a wonderful experience, and I am so grateful that Brandon and I were able to share that time with Keith & Debbie. It really hit me that this is something that I won't get to experience with my own child, so I soaked it all in. It's not that I am not disappointed that I won't have that experience with Alina, it's just different. Parents who don't adopt will not have the same experience that we will, and I think they are missing out, too. We will get to experience something that not a lot of people out there will do, and for that we are truly blessed and lucky.

The other thing that was cool was to see all my nephews with their Grandma (my Mom). She was so excited to hold Andrew, and to have Daniel (Greg's son), Nate & Caleb (Keith's oldest sons) surrounding her. I looked at that and marveled at what a great group Alina will soon be a part of, and that she will be the sole princess. It's going to be a cool ride.

No comments: