Saturday, May 20, 2017

Ten

Ten. The start of the double-digit years. A will turn ten this year and I am not sure I am ready to face all that it brings. Seems that not too long ago, she was just starting Kindergarten. Today, she has reached another milestone.

She is starting to look and act more like a little lady than my little girl. She now reaches my chin and In a few years, I am sure she will be taller than me.  She has begun to take an interest in clothes – not much, but enough that I have noticed. I fear that it won’t be much longer before she takes an interest in boys but I am hoping I have several years until that happens,

Ten. It has been ten years since a birth mom in Russia, who we have never met, gave birth to this silly, sweet, beautiful child I get to call mine. She never ceases to amaze me with her love and her joy for life.

Ten. Change is here and it has been creeping around even though I have refused to give it my full attention. Little changes over time have added up to this wonderful, giggling person who is developing her own opinions and ideas. I would love to keep her as my little girl but I know I can’t. For now, she still needs me in some ways and I am hoping that never changes.

As she welcomes turning ten, I know that one day I must be the one to loosen my grip on her and let her fly. All I can do is tell her that her dad and I love her and that we are so, so proud of the young lady she is becoming.  

Ten. Happy birthday my beautiful A.

No comments: